Theological Musings

Theological Musings has moved to a new location!
All posts and comments have been preserved at the new location. Please visit TheologicalMusingsBlog.com

Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Important Change in Comments

This is a sad day for me. It's sad because it marks an end of a particular aspect of this blog that I have really enjoyed. As I mentioned in a recent post about comments, I have always enjoyed having a free, open comments section. However, a recent anonymous comment has finally convinced me that anonymous comments are not worth the freedom.

As the old saying goes, it only takes a few anonymous commenters to ruin a good discussion on a blog. Well, ok, so I just made that up, but it should be an old saying by now! ;)

So, with my apologies to ded (one of my dearest friends and frequent commenter here) and any of my other wonderful commenters who don't have Blogger accounts, everyone who wishes to comment from now on (this has been put into effect immediately) must have a Blogger account to comment. Now, this does not cost a thing (except a few minutes of your time) and does not require you to set up your own blog. However, for those who currently don't have a Blogger account, please go to http://www.blogger.com and set up an account for yourself. You don't even have to use your real name, but you will have to create some kind of "nickname" to use.

Again, I'm very sorry to have to make this change. I guess by nature, I'm a pretty optimistic person, and I had hoped that this blog could always remain a totally free and open exchange. But I don't want to have to avoid mentioning certain topics (such as eschatology) just to fly below the radar of rabid hounds and their Google searches for key terms in those debates.

To all of my sincere commenters who haven't hid behind the cloak of anonymity, please know how grateful I am to each of you. And I realize this won't stop all the bizarre comments (some of the more bizarre ones lately have actually had Blogger accounts), but I've just had enough of some of the most slanderous comments coming from people who can't even be bothered to change the word "Anonymous" to something more useful.

Now that this change has been put in place, let's all return to edifying dialogue, shall we? :) And Lord willing, with my next post, we will!

Until next time,

Anonymous steve :)

10 comment(s):

Steve -- Knowing your heart, and the kindness you have consistently extended to all (particularly those who disagreed with you, i.e. me, at times!) :-), I know this decision was not made lightly.

The sad part -- I have NO IDEA what the anonymous poster was trying to say... Oh well -- As always, I remain your friend in Christ -- Ray

By Blogger Ray, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006 9:58:00 PM  

Ray, neither do I (have any idea)!! ;) No, this decision was not made lightly. I don't understand the attitude that is displayed by people sometimes.

Always good to hear from you, my brother!

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:02:00 PM  

Hi Steve,

An unfortunate post though I understand completely why you had to do it. Inflammatory language has no place among Christian dialogue. Thanks for making a necessary yet tough decision.

tony

By Blogger Tony, at Tuesday, August 15, 2006 10:41:00 PM  

Your sensitivity is commendable tho I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. We should all own up to our convictions. Too tempting to lob a hand grenade when hiding in the bushes.

Only downside, it now takes 2 clicks to find my blog instead of one because I switched from Blogger to TheoBloggers (WordPress).

By Blogger Tommy, at Wednesday, August 16, 2006 6:57:00 AM  

tony, thanks for stopping by.

tom, I didn't mention the aspect you pointed out, but it was one that I had thought about. Some here comment from other blog systems, and Blogger linked directly to that blog (even though Blogger users themselves could only get linked to their profile!). I wish Blogger gave me the option to prohibit only anonymous comments, yet still allow WordPress and others to use their information. But it's all or nothing with Blogger.

It's always the innocent who have to deal with the frustrations caused by the guilty, huh? Anyway, thanks for commenting.

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Wednesday, August 16, 2006 8:23:00 AM  

Steve, I echo Ray's sentiments in this matter.

I was on another blog recently and actually saw a comment from an anonymous poster accusing the writer of being a coward.

You have a great blog that I really am edified by when I visit.

By Blogger Gordon, at Wednesday, August 16, 2006 10:40:00 AM  

You're right, anonymous comments are not worth it...
with freedom comes responsibility and I don't have much respect for poeple who can't take responsibility for the freedom they exhibit in their own comments...

By Blogger Jada's Gigi, at Wednesday, August 16, 2006 11:33:00 AM  

unfortunate ... have you looked at using Haloscan for comments?

By Blogger Heather, at Thursday, August 17, 2006 9:25:00 AM  

Okay, now that Ded is logged in, will you go back to posting? :)

By Blogger Gordon, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 9:41:00 PM  

Gordon, haha. You're funny! ;) I laughed pretty hard when I saw this. But yes, I do hope to post again very soon.

I just got home from opening night of a new show (in our brand new Arts Center!!), and getting this show ready has taken just about everything (time-wise and energy-wise) I have!!

Ded, sorry to make you jump through hoops, there, my brother! Glad you're here now! :)

Heather, I'm not real impressed with Haloscan, to be honest. I like the ability to have existing comments integrated into the blog post page instead of always having to open a new window. Is there a way to do that with Haloscan? Also, unless you pay for Haloscan's premium service, my understanding is that they stop displaying comments when posts get a few weeks (or months?) old.

jadas gigi always glad to see you here. Ahhh, responsibility and freedom. They must go together, but sadly don't always seem to in our culture.

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Thursday, August 24, 2006 10:59:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home