Theological Musings

Theological Musings has moved to a new location!
All posts and comments have been preserved at the new location. Please visit TheologicalMusingsBlog.com

Thursday, July 20, 2006

Reflections on One Year of Blogging

It seems customary for people to mark the anniversary of their blog each year. I don't fully understand why, but I guess I'll be the lemming that I try not to be and follow the crowd on this.

So here it is, one year since I wrote my first post here on Blogger. At the time, I had no idea what would happen. I didn't know if anyone would read or what. As it turns out, I have had a very fun year of it.

There have been a few surprises along the way. Like who would have thought that a blog that writes from a simple church perspective would attract several institutional pastors as regular readers and commenters?! :) But Ray and Gordon, I love you guys, and thank you for the very edifying and uplifting dialogues here. You two, especially, have done a lot to keep me hopeful in a lot of areas.

Another surprise has been seeing which posts resonated, and which ones didn't. Sometimes I would write something that I thought was really interesting and provocative, and not too many people would engage. But on the other hand, the post that seems to have gotten the most attention, and was definitely the most "linked-to" post of this first year was one that I never really even wrote for anyone else but myself. That was A Blogger's Version of 1 Corinthians 13. Somehow, it got passed around and linked to, and resulted in some really encouraging comments. I still shake my head in amazement at that.

At any rate, this whole experience so far has been everything I thought it would be and nothing at all like I thought it would be! But I look forward to the next year, and the next year, and however long I have the privilege of sharing my thoughts with you in this fashion.

Adrian Warnock, a blogger I have admired for a while now because of his gracious spirit and tone, recently wrote about the topic of being an "influential blogger". He writes:

You see, we need to be loving towards our readers and leave them with a positive impression. Sure, it's easier to get a lot of comments with an aggressive "nasty" post, but is it consistent with Christian love?
In agreement with Adrian, I hope that your time here is edifying, beneficial, encouraging, and challenging in your walk with Jesus. May God receive all of the glory from this.

Until next time,

steve :)

11 comment(s):

Steve,
Congratulations on your "one-year" anniversary! While I'm not a regular "commenter", I have certainly enjoyed reading your posts here and comments elsewhere.

Looking forward to more great, thought-provoking posts!

By Blogger Nephos, at Thursday, July 20, 2006 9:00:00 AM  

Steve,

We 'meet' again. Someone referenced you on Steve Camp's blog, so I thought I'd stop by and say hi.

By Blogger Mike Ross, at Friday, July 21, 2006 12:22:00 AM  

I too have decided to bow out, though I was nowhere near as involved as you were. Two or three posts did it for me.

So in trying to understand this whole Calvinist vs. Arminian thought process where would you suggest I start? (Yes, I read that post.)

By Blogger Mike Ross, at Friday, July 21, 2006 1:19:00 AM  

Steve,
Congrats on your one-year anniversary:) Your posts are always thought-provoking and enjoyable to engage with. You inspire me to think outside of the "box". I appreciate that. I consider it an honor to be your friend.

By Blogger Raborn Johnson, at Friday, July 21, 2006 6:43:00 PM  

Steve,
Congratulations on one year of doing a great job of expressing your thoughts. You have a gentle spirit and a thick skin at the same time, that is a combination not often found under the same hairdo.

I am still out of the house right now, just borrowed my father-in-law's 'puter to check up on my blogging buddies. Thanks for the kind words and know that the feeling is mutual. You always seem to be able to challenge my thinking without making it personal.

Thanks for being the blessing that you are. I look forward to what the Lord has for you this next year.

Gordon

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Friday, July 21, 2006 8:32:00 PM  

Yeah, I will be posting here. I am just going to link my 'other' blog to this one.

By Blogger Mike Ross, at Saturday, July 22, 2006 12:06:00 AM  

Great job, Steve, of posting and moderating! I have thoroughly enjoyed reading your posts and participating in the comments section. Thanks for enriching my life! You are among the reasons I give thanks to our Father!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, July 22, 2006 5:56:00 PM  

Congratulations on your one year of blogging! May God provide you with enough 'fuel and patience' to continue for years to come. You are a blessing among many on the Christian blogging circuit.

By Blogger Barbara, at Sunday, July 23, 2006 10:44:00 PM  

Steve,

Tempus Fugit. Always love your blog. Congratulations, brother.

Blessings,
Terry

By Blogger Terry Rayburn, at Friday, July 28, 2006 10:15:00 AM  

Thank you all for the wonderful comments. I trust that you will continue to be blessed in reading this blog, and that many more beneficial discussions will ensue.

Thanks for reading!

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Friday, July 28, 2006 2:31:00 PM  

Thanks for showing Janice how to do a link in a comment. I followed you directions and got my link in Gordon's comments.

By Blogger Beverly, at Friday, July 28, 2006 9:01:00 PM  

Post a comment

<< Home