Theological Musings

Theological Musings has moved to a new location!
All posts and comments have been preserved at the new location. Please visit TheologicalMusingsBlog.com

Friday, April 07, 2006

A Blogger's Version of 1 Corinthians 13

Note: This is not meant to be disrespectful to the biblical text in any way. Just an attempt on my part to remind myself of what this is all about.


If I blog with words that impress greatly and have the most beautiful blog template, but have not love, I am only a bunch of meaningless pixels scattered across the screen. If I have large numbers of readers coming to my blog, and hundreds of comments on every post, but have not love, I am no better than the blogger who has no readers at all. If I can exegete Scripture impressively and convince others of my theological perspective but have not love, I gain nothing.

A loving blogger is patient and kind. Love does not envy other’s site statistics, it does not boast in its own viewpoints, it is not proud of what it writes. Love is not rude to those who comment, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered by disagreements, it keeps no record of wrongs. A loving blogger does not delight in speaking or reading evil but rejoices with speaking the truth. He always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

Love never fails. But where there are blog hosts, their servers will fail; where there is heavy blog traffic, it will be reduced to nothing; where there is impressive writing, it will all be deleted from the file system. For we know in part and we write blog posts in part, but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. When I was a beginning blogger, I wrote about trivial subjects, I jumped to conclusions about other viewpoints, I paid no attention to how I talked to others. When I became a mature blogger, I put beginners’ ways behind me.

Now we see but a basic representation of our words as on an old monochrome monitor; then we shall understand all of this theological truth in its fullest. Now I only understand a little bit about which I write; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

And now these three remain: site statistics, creative writing and love. But the greatest of these is love.

24 comment(s):

Hi Steve,

What a beautiful analogy, especially in light of recent events. Your writing reflects your heart that you have shown in your blog dealings with others, and you are greatly appreciated.

Blessings,
Terry

By Blogger Terry Rayburn, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 12:41:00 AM  

Hi! I thought your blurb about your blog on Gordons site was interesting so I stopped by and I am glad I did.

I very much liked reading the preaching series. It is my desire to be ordained and preach. Not sure I'm fit to be a pastor but if God called me I would do my best. I am thinking perhaps I'm to be an evangelist.

I think this post I am commenting in is brilliant. You must have given a great deal of thought to this.

I have thought the same things but never came up with the words as you have.

I have taken liberty with the same verses though. Try changing charity/love to God. This is exactly who God is.

I'll have to ad a link to your site at mine. Hope you will stop by. I would value your opinions.

By Blogger Michael Pendleton, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 6:14:00 AM  

Lest you forget: The Blogger's version of 1 Corinthians 14:1

"Pursue love, yet desire earnestly the best exegesis, but especially that you may write well."

By Blogger West Coast Awakening, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:08:00 AM  

Thanks, Steve.

Galatians 5:6 ...nothing matters except faith expressing through love.

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:13:00 AM  

Terry and Michael: Thank you both for stopping by. Terry, thank you for the link and for the private email.

I confess that I wrote this post so directed at myself that it never even really occurred to me that others might find it beneficial! It was a very rare moment of introspection on this blog, since normally I "think out loud" for the purpose of discussion. This one was just me preaching to myself! :)

Larry and ded, thanks for your comments as well. You both added good thoughts.

ded, we are really looking forward to fellowshiping with you tomorrow morning!!

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 11:37:00 AM  

What a GREAT reminder about the impact a single blog (or blogpost) can make!! Thank you!!

By Blogger Susan, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 3:59:00 PM  

Awesome, Steve!!!

By Anonymous Anonymous, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 4:42:00 PM  

Very nicely done, Steve. This is really challenging.

By Blogger Gordon, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 7:13:00 PM  

A great way to use God's Word to guide our thoughts and hearts as we post to our blogs. Many do not realize the impact they have on those who read them. Thank you for showing that you care. God Bless.

By Blogger Lynn, at Saturday, April 08, 2006 9:25:00 PM  

I like this!

By Blogger Neil, at Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:14:00 PM  

Susan, mynion, Gordon, Lynn, and bugblaster:

Thanks for your positive comments. I continue to be amazed at the response to this post!

God can definitely use the small things.

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Sunday, April 09, 2006 4:49:00 PM  

AMEN!!!

Blessings,
Amy

By Blogger A Good Kinda Crazy, at Sunday, April 09, 2006 9:35:00 PM  

I enjoyed this post very much. Thank you! I will try to keep this in mind. :~)

By Blogger Rose~, at Monday, April 10, 2006 1:10:00 PM  

Amy, Mary, and Rose:

Thank you all for stopping by. Hope you all will stick around and participate in the discussions here. We have a lot of fun!

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Tuesday, April 11, 2006 7:36:00 PM  

Great thoughts :)

By Blogger Unknown, at Saturday, April 15, 2006 9:14:00 PM  

flutemom and h k flynn:

Thank you both for adding your encouraging responses here.

I think this post definitely takes the cake for most responses from female readers! hehe

Jodie (h k), I'm interested to see how the debate with Frank turns out. Several have commented so positively on Frank's blog about your spirit in engaging these topics, and so I imagine that you could have written this 1 Cor 13 post yourself!

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Saturday, April 15, 2006 10:53:00 PM  

No new post so I'll just wish you Happy Easter here!

HAPPY EASTER!

By Blogger Michael Pendleton, at Sunday, April 16, 2006 3:18:00 PM  

Steve,
This is beautifully written! You should start us a 'Blogger's Bible' - translate the WORD into how a Christian blogger should be with our writings.

As Lynn said, many do not know the impact we bloggers have on people, as they read what we write.

By Blogger Barbara, at Sunday, April 16, 2006 6:42:00 PM  

Michael Pendleton, thanks brother! I hope your Resurrection Day was blessed. I am so glad that He is risen!!

Barbara, thank you for your kind comments. Not sure if I'm up for the "Blogger's Bible" task, but it definitely is a good thing for us to learn to apply the Word to everything we do!

All, sorry there hasn't been anything new here lately. I'm still working on the next installment of the Preaching/Teaching series, and have a lot of other things spinning around in my head, too. Hopefully soon...

steve :)

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Monday, April 17, 2006 9:16:00 PM  

We keep checking back for the next post. :)

By Blogger Barbara, at Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:15:00 PM  

I know, I know...I'm a lousy blogger! ;) hehe

By Blogger Steve Sensenig, at Thursday, April 20, 2006 10:16:00 PM  

Amen! Good work!

By Blogger Kevin Bussey, at Saturday, April 22, 2006 9:09:00 PM  

Slow maybe,at times, but there is NO room for lousy on this blog! :)

By Blogger Barbara, at Tuesday, April 25, 2006 1:50:00 PM  

Love the 1 Cor 13 analogy. Posted it to my own blog (with full acknowledgement and link). Really good! Thanks (a beginner blogger)-
Shane.

By Blogger Shane Becker, at Monday, May 15, 2006 5:04:00 AM  

Post a comment

<< Home